The easy application adds to the long list of benefits for this coating. Many types of products can be applied with a sprayer or a roller. These are the steps on how to apply elastomeric roof coating.
- Clean the roof thoroughly. Discard any large pieces of debris. Use a broom or blower to move the rest of the dirt and debris off the roof. After this, use a power washer to clean the roof. Wait until it dries to proceed.
- Make any necessary repairs. There may be spots on the roof that need patching. Look for blisters, cracks and other problem areas to repair. An acrylic roof sealant is a good solution for this step. For better results, use a trowel or roof brush to apply patching compound.
- Apply the elastomeric roof coating. First, carefully read the directions on the coating product. Make sure that it is ideal for the roof’s material and slope. There are two ways to apply coating, and it is important to choose a product that fits individual needs. Some products can be rolled onto the roof. Others are applied with a spraying device. In some home improvement stores, it may be possible to rent a sprayer instead of paying full price to buy one. A roller is usually a cheaper option.
Before applying elastomeric roof coating, watch some DIY videos online. It is always better to watch several videos to gain extra insights and to thoroughly understand how to apply elastomeric roof coating. When using a roller, be sure to maintain a wet edge at all times. Work from one side of the outer part of the roof, inward and toward the other side. Use the same pattern with a sprayer. Be sure to carefully seal any pipe edges or other roof fixtures.
Tips for Applying Elastomeric Roof Coating
Keeping the previous steps in mind, these are some helpful tips to make the application process go smoothly:
- If possible, apply the elastomeric roof coating on a sunny day.
- Pick a day that is nice but not too hot.
- When using a roller, use a brush for finer details and around roof fixtures.
- If the roof is severely damaged, hire a professional to patch it first.
Lastly, be sure to stay off the roof until the elastomeric roof coating is cured. It should dry within a day or so. However, it may take up to a week to be fully cured in perfect weather. If it rains a few days after the coating is applied, the moisture will not ruin it. Continuously wet weather could slow the curing process for up to a few weeks. To be safe, plan on staying off the roof for a month.